PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quitting before IOT
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2017, 13:43
YellowTom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aevu,

As I'm sure you know - if you get 10 replies on PPrune you'll end up with 15 opinions to manage!

While you observations may seem to some to be negative, I suspect they're only based on what you've seen and experienced rather than you interpretation of them. It'd be hard to disagree with them.

The days of people wanting to join the RAF because they love flying so much that's all they've ever wanted to do and they want to do it so much they'll live in horrid housing in an isolated part of the country are over. Sorry retired folks - those days are over.

Today people join because they want an exciting and enjoyable stepping stone for the second chapter of their career. For pilots, this more often than not all is about getting the hours to move into the airline world in their late 30s. For the ground trades, this is often about working in a world that pays you while you're in the gym, trains you to do a difficult job that gets you good qualifications, and then lets you do that job in difficult conditions.

As a 22 year old with a good degree, the graduate schemes of the UK's larger employers offer worlds which couldn't be any more different to the RAF. Big salaries, great names to put on your CV and experience of working with modern digital technologies etc. etc. That said, people in your situation do still join the RAF, even as pilots! But I'm not sure any of the reasons why they do it today have been mentioned on this page so far.