PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quitting before IOT
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2017, 10:58
Mr. Vice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am going to say what many people are probably thinking here.

If you are considering that the chance to go to work every single day and fly a Typhoon from low level, right up to flight level nosebleed supersonic, night and day all over the world as potentially not for you then I would like some of whatever you are smoking. The opportunity to fly the F35 off of a deck or the chance to live in any number of countries around the world as part of exchanges tours is incredible.

Yes there will be hard times, yes you will deal with non-flying related crap. But who said it was easy? The payback will be flying on Operations, being part of huge international exercises and going away on incredible adventurous training.

A lot of people will say my view is somewhat out of touch with the modern Armed Forces but the fact remains that the journey is what you make it and I would argue that a performance takeoff in a Typhoon probably makes up for the trivial jobs that need doing.

Despite all of this your post stinks of somebody that doesn't really want it enough, probably doesn't have the minerals and quite frankly doesn't fancy the challenge. I am sure a number of people reading this will also consider you somewhat selfish for wasting a pilot slot on IOT if you really do pull the plug.

Enjoy slaving away behind a desk for 40 years wondering what you could have achieved. At least you can tell your co-workers that you didn't have to endure a posting to North Scotland, before sitting on a 1hr tube commute home only to rinse and repeat until retirement.

Read your post out loud and listen to yourself.

Get a grip.

Cheers,

Mr. Vice