PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair uses all the runway.
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2017, 10:35
Musician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cameraperson is on their seat with a seatbelt on, so given the distances involved, camera movement is sure to be neglible - and the window size restricts the possible viewpoint variation even further. I did assume the aircraft staying on the centerline. The height of the observer can be judged by the height of the horizon with respect to the runway, as long as the airplane remains above the center.

The horizon isn't always visible (obscured by scenery and a small elevation), so I judged rotation by comparing it with the angle of the runway edge, which remains unchanged as the airplane is on the ground, but may vary as the plane lifts off, due to perspective and lens distortion. I've now confirmed the value of 6° rotation over the threshold by attempting to line up the horizon, see attached image. (Lining the first image up by the edge of the green or the treetops, the difference is about 0.3°.)

Takeoff was 1:30, I believe, so on BST the sun should be almost to the south, on a takeoff due west. That means the shadow position changes minimally with wing height over the runway (the point of contention being that the plane is low over the threshold); 10' height change with the sun 12° off-axis equals 2' lateral position change (sun 191°az 29°el at 1:30 BST). The shadow shape will narrow <1% as the wing rotates 6°.

I've looked at the distance from the blue dot at the bottom of the wingtip to the tip of the wing shadow to determine wingtip height. Assuming[1] the bottom of the winglet is at 13.5' over the eastern threshold marker, it rises as the wing flexes with lift and is around 15' over the center of the runway, up to the aiming point. Rising slowly (~60 ft/min), it exceeds 17' at the final touchdown marker and shows from 19 to 20.5 feet over the threshold marker (~300 ft/min). Runway end 22.5', 400'/min. This checks with the wingtip positions on the image I posted at #192.

I believe that takes care of Dave's suggestions (thank you!).

[1] http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com.../acaps/737.pdf p.46 (p.50 in the PDF), row K.
Attached Images
File Type: png
rotation vs horizon.png (280.2 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Musician; 20th Oct 2017 at 10:55.