PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Living the emergency drill
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2017, 19:45
sTeamTraen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TangoAlphad
I see where you are coming from but when it comes to the slides etc it can be a big drop. One of the things we consider if we really need to call an evacuation is odds are people will be hurt. There will probably be a few broken ankles/wrists and several more scrapes etc so we don't call it unless we are pretty sure that there is a risk to life remaining on board. That being said I suppose a static set up could have the slide angle softened out and padding and soft area etc all set around the bottom...
Yes, and I have been told how much it costs to deploy the slides, so it would have to be a static setup, with extra-high sides and soft padding all around. But seriously, I'm sure kids would pester their parents for $$ to jump out of a real plane door.

Originally Posted by ExXB
Never, ever, inflate the life jacket while in the aircraft.

An inflated life jacket will impede your movements and will trap you to the ceiling if the hull fills with water.
Yep, I knew that about the impediment. So that would be one more thing people can learn: "OK, now inflate your life jacket. Bulky, huh? So don't do that in a real emergency". (Thanks for the point about getting trapped on the ceiling, I hadn't thought of that.)

Originally Posted by ExXB
At least we could have realistic videos of all of the above. Show them on screens in the boarding lounges.
Excellent idea, but I suspect the airlines would say it puts (most) people off...