PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA to FAA question
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2017, 15:29
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EASA to FAA question

I got an email yesterday from the German pilot I renewed my EASA license and did aerobatic training with. He's asked me something I know only a bit about, but I know there are experts here.

Situation: A German ATP who flies Lear 50s for a living has an expired EASA-MEP rating; he needs an FAA AMEL land rating to do a type rating course in the US. He has a private pilot certificate issued under 61.75 20 years ago. He has a regular FAA private pilot certificate too.

In my opinion, if the EASA MEP is "valid" for FAA purposes, then he could use the 61.75 process to add the rating to the private ticket and be done. (Yes, a flight review would be required if he actually wanted to rent. He just needs the ME rating to do the type rating.)

From an EASA/CAA/LBA/FAA perspective, is the MEP rating "valid" in this case? It's clearly not current.

MEP training is expensive in Germany. If the MEP rating is not "valid" for the FAA in this case, my suggestion is a few hours of dual in a twin and a checkride to add the AMEL rating to the existing "real" private certificate.

Thoughts or advice?

Terry

PS He knows that he can get an FAA ATP out of this type rating course. He just needs to have ME on a piece of paper first.