PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair uses all the runway.
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 18:13
Musician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish Apparently I have too much time...

I downloaded the video, used SMPlayer to split the interesting bits into single frame images, and picked those frames where runway markers were visible, judging the plane's position by the shadow of its wing. This method is somewhat inaccurate because somewhere in the chain some duplicate frames were inserted (possible to change the frame rate from 25 fps to 30 fps) and the shadow moves as the wings lift up, so when I state that the plane had 40kt at the threshold marker, 125kt at the center of the runway and 150kt over the aiming point, those values are probably fairly close to the truth (maybe +/-2kt?), but ultimately useless.

However, I then cut out images of the 8ft tall winglet in those positions where the wing was over a runway marker (two images for each set of "piano keys") and aligned them at the runway edge. This makes it easy to see where the plane rotated and lifted off: 450m (1500ft) from the end of the runway, rotating at approx. 1° per second.

Small print: 0s is at 1:57 in the video, as the back edge of the wing's shadow aligns with the back edge of the "piano keys" (this position is 0m). Pictures 3-12 have the same positional relation to each touchdown marker. The runway image was taken from Google maps and provided me with the positions of the runway markers, assuming those were painted in multiples of 5m. The first attachment is full size, 824px is half size for including in the post.
Attached Images
File Type: png