PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex ring
Thread: Vortex ring
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 17:23
CappyJax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotorbee
Most of our colleagues got into VRS in training missions. Despite what Vuichard claims, there are not thousands of lifes lost due to VRS.
Most Settling With Power accidents happen close to the ground to the "complete surprise" of the pilot. I think that the clues that you do not have the power to hover OGE are pretty clear (collective under the arm and still going forward) and most pilots get not into VRS because they do not have the power to hover but just because we sometime are just dump, fat and happy. Tailwind is another often used method. (See REGA accident)
What am I doing? I stop now, we had all this already.
Does he really claim thousands of lives lost due to VRS? I think the most number of lives lost from VRS was in the V22. The military might have a lot more of them than the civilian world. For light helicopters, the box is pretty small. But for heavy helicopters with high disk loading, the box gets really really big. A Blackhawk at gross weight is in the heavy turbulence area of VRS at 26 knots and 1700 FPM, and may still be in the light turbulence regions at speeds as high as 80 knots. That is a really big area to avoid.