PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex ring
Thread: Vortex ring
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 16:32
CappyJax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotorbee
Before anybody has the chance let me do it ...
Dear Surendra_Simrik
This video and the ones before and the website and ... and ... and Mr Vuichard have been subject of a rather interesting discussion before.
Please go HERE.
Please read carefully what some of the more experienced members have to say.
Just a hint, what to expect. Settling with power and Vortex Ring State are two completely different things and should not be used in the same sentence. Better not even in the same thread.
Have fun.
I just read some of that thread. I am shocked at how many pilots have gotten into some very bad VRS. I can think of only one time I thought I might have been getting into it and I just increased my airspeed a bit. I think we might need more focus on avoidance if that many pilots are regularly getting into VRS.

And yes, VRS and settling with power are not the same thing despite the FAA trying very hard to make them the same. However, they can look similar to those who don't understand the aerodynamics involved. For example, OGE at a high gross weight with insufficient power to hover will results in a descent. You are settling into your own wake, so the helicopter will be effected by the turbulence. The ROD might only be a couple hundred feet per minute, but you are only settling into your downwash, you have not yet caught up to up. If the rate of descent increases to the point of catching up to your own downwash, VRS starts to develop. So, settling with power can lead to VRS, but the aerodynamics involved are very different. I think why the FAA makes them out to be the same in that the recovery is generally the same which is to increase speed beyond ETL. However, if you lower collective when settling with power, you may put yourself into VRS trying to recover and will require more down collective to get out of VRS. Whereas, if you had just lowered the nose and increased speed, you would easily fly out of settling with power.