PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair uses all the runway.
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 10:25
Gordomac

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
RAT 5 : I used to wonder in the same manner. I transferred from B767 to A340 in my last year. A hot, heavy B767 for LHR; Open the taps and there was that re-assuring thump in the small of the back. V1 call was pretty rapidly followed by VR in the same breath. Landmarks like terminal buildings, freight bases, crew car-parks seemed to whizz underneath . SNY on the scarebus was my intro. No throttles, funny little idents but Perf A is what we are all on about. Hot, heavy for LHR. No re-assuring thump in the back. Could have placed my breakfast order while awaiting the V1 call. Waiting for VR alerted me to a double pilot incapacitation situation possibility. NOTHING whizzed underneath but there was a slow passing by of the terminal, freight bases, crew car parks, Mcdonalds and a couple of fishing craft where crew had dived into the water watching our approach. Piano keys ? I think we played the National Anthem on them.

After settling down, I asked my intro Captain what the thing was like with two engines out, same side, j e r s t after V1. I got a concerned look with the response...." we don't even THINK about stuff like that ."

In this discussion, I am siding with Parabllum's highly experienced and admired posts. Pax in the terminal with hand held devices will have observed me in my Boeing lift off abeam the terminal. In my A340, I often wondered who might be filming my lift-off, same conditions, bit heavier but powered by four hair driers as we got a level view of new building projects in the harbour area !

Oh, can't resist a playful prod;- Yet, there are some who will try and convince that if we REDUCED thrust, we could have lifted off an even higher RTOW. Cripes, glad I joined the PERF A burning books ceremony after passing the exam !