PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vodka burner - where was V1?
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2017, 23:42
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Is there not a limit on clearway? Is there not a maximum % of TORA? It's been too long ago and I can't find a quick reference.

The general rule is that available clearway declared is limited to 50% TORA. This has been discussed in other threads previously but no-one has pinned down just where it came from back in the olden days of antiquity.

As I recall, and that might be a tad scratchy with the passage of time, the only place I have seen it written in "official" documents was in one of the FAA aerodrome ACs .. but I'll leave it to you to go searching for that detail.

From a practical point of view, I can't imagine any aircraft being able to use that percentage of TORA ... keeping in mind that, for most aircraft (ie other than ancient BCAR Types for which the factor was 1/3) that would infer an air distance to screen up to being equal to TORR ... now that would really be an aircraft relying on the curvature of the earth to fling itself (very sedately in the nature of enjoying a port in the late evening) away from the ground.