PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MATZ penetration and communication with a military airfield
Old 17th Oct 2017, 21:25
GipsyMagpie

Originally Posted by Jan Olieslagers
Excuse me but that is sheer total absolute complete nonsense.
Class G is per definition NOT CONTROLLED thus there is nothing to control let alone to over-control.
Neither can there be a controller, there merely can be a radio operator. Who may be in duty bound to offer information but not a syllable more.

It keeps on confusing and annoying me that the Brits so complicate matters that are essentially so simple.
Sorry, you are dead wrong. Google ATSOCAS. Class G is not controlled in the sense that aircraft are not under a radar control service but there are numerous services in UK airspace where the controller provides a lot more than information. It's just the pilot remains ultimately responsible.

And your earlier post saying there is no UK radar-backed FIS is wrong. That's a traffic or deconfliction service. Many units offer these under the LARS scheme.

I struggle to understand why anyone wouldn't want a set of free eyes keeping a watch over your shoulder. I get the freedom of flying around not speaking to anyone but aviation is a dangerous business. The big sky theory doesn't work and see-and-avoid is so full of holes - Google the research done in the USA.