PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF KHORMAKSAR
Thread: RAF KHORMAKSAR
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2017, 10:13
AnglianAV8R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dundiggin'
I know the Aden program (The Last Post) has been criticised for irrelevant medal ribbons. But I was in Aden for two years 65/67 and was one of the very last servicemen to leave Steamer Point. In its' defence I find the program is spooky and worryingly realistic. It fills me with the same sinking feeling of discomfort I had the whole time I was there. The scenes are IMO entirely accurate and exactly as I remember the place.. The only thing missing is the smell of camels! I expect the next episode will have a wife dangling by rope off a balcony in Maala or the laundry basket exploding having had a jumping jack mine planted within. Bloody awful place and without doubt the ar@sehole of the World.
Was there too, 64-66. Dad was a pongo at 15 Sigs Regt, Khormaksar. I remember school bus runs from Maala with a squaddie on board. Northumberland Fusiliers. I travelled in a signals despatch LandRover from Little Aden to Khormaksar... real adventure for a five year old. Dad used to exceed 90 hours per week in the Comcen, then take his turn on stag outside our flats, with SLR + 10 rounds. I remember being sternly warned to not pick anything up for obvious reasons. I still vividly recall the enormous whoosh and bang as an RPG type weapon was fired at the red Sea Hotel, next to the first flats we lived in which were called Elbaz Buildings. Then we moved to Maala, to a block called Columbo A or B. Arsehole of the world ? No, I say not so. It was what you made of it and we had a fantastic time in spite of the security situation. Such as all heading out to Elephant bay for a BBQ. I had to share my toys at Christmas, as we had a bunch of single lads at ours. It is tragic to see the state of the place now, and it isn't down to the locals either. They really had made something of the place, but somebody decided to start a war.