PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anna's Friday Liar. 13/10/17
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2017, 02:37
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fool Sufferer

I reckon you need to stop gulping the Koolaid and I call BS.

You say the financial viability of Cathay is at risk. Quite a few other people who consider themselves not to be foolsufferers see CX very differently.

1. 12 months ago the CX share price was $10.30 and it's now $12.80. The market appears to disagree with you.
2. In that 12 month period, a fairly savvy investor has taken a 9% stake in CX because he sees the stock as a turn-around story. He even recently taunted Swires saying he would buy them out because he saw CX as a $20 stock. That investor disagrees with you.
3. In amongst all the doom and gloom spun by the Company's spin masters, the Company committed to purchase DHL's share of Air HK for cash and signed a major deal for A320s. It also has long-standing orders for A50s and 777X. The lenders and manufacturers seem to be confident in CX's future, unlike you.
4. Sure, management has become complacent and bloated and has lost its way on the revenue front. Fuel and interest rates remain historically low, the world economy remains buoyant and that drives high load factors. I disagree, the fundamentals are in fact very sound. The company just needs wise leadership to resolve the revenue issues and restore Cathay as a premium product, whilst keeping costs under control. I believe that will happen eventually, however it is true we could suffer some short term pain whilst management fumbles around.

As for pilots' earnings diminishing, that's a function of the pilot industry. I sense you don't work here, but if any HK-based CX pilot compares their Sept 14 pay-check to their Sep 17 pay-check and the 2017 pay-check is not 10% higher, then that would be extraordinary.

The challenge for us all is to now hang onto what we have whilst management continues to fumble in the dark. For us, this has becomes a function of backbone.... ie ... Having one...