PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Children of the Magenta Line. Applies to GA types too
Old 16th Oct 2017, 20:10
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by jonkster
I do get worried when I hear of pilots starting off (and finishing off) their nav training solely using an EFB rather than basic navigation principles.

I would still say I want them to have solid DR training though and would not sacrifice that.
Without wanting to sound like a smartasre, could you explain why you feel this way?

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, and consider things like the whiz-wheel and paper charts a legacy-style of navigation that doesn't really have a place in the modern cockpit. Can I use them? Certainly. Could I use them if all that fancy tech goes dark Certainly. Do I? Not at all.

The use of a sextant and tables are long gone, because technology overtook them, the same can be said of paper charts and DR-style navigation. But I feel too many people worry about the sky falling if you lose GPS reception. The chance of that happening on multiple devices simultaneously is extremely remote.