PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters & RNAV approaches
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2017, 19:36
Phoinix

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Helicopters & RNAV approaches

I'm in the fog with RNAV field of knowledge and I'd like to get a bit more understanding about it. I'm struggling to find any relevant information from the flight/training manuals so here it goes...

Looking at some web published documents, including Eurocontrols, we have PBN which sets the new standards for RNAV specifications. Specifically for approach proposes, they defined four:
- RNP APCH LNAV (Lateral Navigation only and relies on GPS).
- RNP APCH LNAV/VNAV (with Vertical Navigation added and relies on GPS and Barometric VNAV). This is also referred to as an APV Baro.
- RNP APCH LP (Localizer Performance only and relies on GPS and EGNOS, the European satellite-based augmentation system (SBAS)).
- RNP APCH LPV (with Vertical Navigation added and relies on GPS and EGNOS).
This is also referred to as an APV SBAS.

This is the Euro version of the system, the US has WAAS.

Looking at the todays helicopters, which levels of RNP APCH do the popular types fulfil? If the above Eurocontrol definitions are not in use on the airframes itself, which are?
- 412EPI uses the US version, so called WAAS. Which is the Euro equivalent of...?
- AW139 acc. to the training manual has RNP APCH capability, but to what extent?
- EC145, AW169: any RNP APCH capability?

What is the requirement for the RNP APCH equipment? Single/dual GPS units + Inertial system + ? Certification of course, but what are the basic components required for the popular RNAV approach?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Jure