PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC10 tanker
Thread: DC10 tanker
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2017, 18:33
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by cappt
The 747 is there also but I don't know if it has been called up yet.
Interesting - did they take that 747 over from Evergreen when they went bust or is it something they ginned up themselves? Last I'd heard Evergreen had run into some sort of issues with the firefighting conversion and hadn't certified the conversion (admittedly that was several years ago)...

Four years ago I was in Pueblo, CO doing some work on the old family house when they had the Royal Gorge fire. The house is just a few miles west of the airport and directly in line with the main runway (when I was a kid I used to sit out back and watch United 727s doing flight training touch and goes). Anyway, they were using the Pueblo airport as the base for a firefighting DC-10. The fire was only about 50 miles due west of the airport so they didn't bother to climb much after takeoff and they went over the house really low and loud. At one point the guy doing the tile work was outside cutting some tile when the DC-10 went over - he came in and announced he knew exactly how many rivets there were on a DC-10 wing because he'd been able to count them when it flew over