PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Response to EK Training a disgrace
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2017, 18:17
alwayzinit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been burning holes in the sky for close to 40 years now, in various different uniforms.
The largest outfit I have ever worked for was the RAF, at the time some 94,000 personnel. The Safety culture in the RAF was lightyears ahead of the commercial world at the time. Airclues was published every month, it had articles on incidents and theories and a completely open safety reporting system. At the time I am talking about we were losing about 3 jets a month, low level CFIT, Midair collisions, bird strikes etc etc. Consequently Flight Safety was a REALLY BIG deal.
Fortunately the civil world has, thank God, a much much lower accident rate.
Even so every outfit post RAF were completely open about what has happened, why and what could be done to avoid it's repetition.
A very good buddy had a tail strike, instead of being discipled he was asked to write an article for the companies quarterly magazine, about how he never knew it had happened, how the revelation he had had a strike shattered his self confidence. The whole process was a massive learning experience for everyone.
EK is a massive organisation with many stressors that simply do not exist anywhere else. We have to live with these differences on a daily basis.
That said we are also our own worst enemies.
These pages are littered with confidential memos and letters placed into the public forum.
I don't have a dog in this fight much longer, however, IF we want pertinent safety information freely circulated we all have to stop washing our laundry in public.
Keep it blue side up guys!