PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Children of the Magenta Line. Applies to GA types too
Old 16th Oct 2017, 11:12
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nibbles2310
So you'll see how a pilot handles being removed of a device that has become their main tool of navigation during a BFR but you won't teach new students how to use an EFB effectively and just expect them to figure it out?
A little bit of an assumption there. I certainly discuss the use of EFB devices and how they can make life easy but avoid them having access to it in flight. I also would use taking the EFB away as an opportunity to teach new (or relearn forgotten) skills. A flight review is not a test in my opinion but a chance to learn and polish and gain confidence and broaden viewpoints.

If they can navigate with chart and DR, learning to use an EFB is (I think) a piece of cake. And if the EFB fails... they won't be thrown and can drop back a level to skills they have practiced and shown to have proficiency in.

Originally Posted by Nibbles2310
A far more effective way would be to integrate both methods of navigation into the initial training so that one does not become a slave to the magenta line once they get the freedom of flying by themselves.

EFBs are effective and reliable but there needs to be emphasis on how to maintain situational awareness and mitigate the risks (which does not necessarily mean reverting to paper).
That idea (adding EFBs to DR training) is certainly worth exploring - particularly looking at how EFBs can introduce problems like loss of SA and reliance on what the machine says over what they see out the cockpit.

I do get worried when I hear of pilots starting off (and finishing off) their nav training solely using an EFB rather than basic navigation principles. That said, incorporating such aids in their training is worth considering if it makes for safer pilots and as they become more ubiquitous that they use them well.

I would still say I want them to have solid DR training though and would not sacrifice that.

I am curious how you would envisage incorporating EFB alonside DR navigation in nav training for PPLs (seriously - if it makes for safer pilots then I am quite open to the idea). What would you cover in that sort of training? How much time would you devote? What are the pitfalls of using them? How would you mitigate against those pitfalls and how would you train that practically?