PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA and ICAO restrictions
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2017, 11:02
kk35467

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CASA and ICAO restrictions

Hi, I am currently a 15-year-old boy perusing his dream to become a commercial pilot. Around mid-July, my mother took me in to get my medical done to start my RPL training.

I found out that I had some slight problems with my vision. I apparently had minor problems with my depth perception. The optometrist said it wasn't a big issue but that proved to be wrong. Also, my medical test showed there wasn't enough information with my ECG testing. So I had to wait a month and a half to get tested by a cardiologist which I tested clear.

Not long later I thought casa would just clear my case and give me my medical but I got an email saying my case would be taken up to a panel. There were many obstacles along the way but then the final verdict came. I got an email by casa saying in order to get my medical I need to do some flight testing (Judgement of flare, centerline judgment etc). The test would determine if I am capable enough to get a medical. But also in the letter it said

"Please be advised, dependent on the outcome of the operational check, your medical certificate will be issued with the following special operational restrictions:
 Not valid for mustering or agricultural flying
 Not valid for rotary wing operations
 Holder does not fully meet requirements of ICAO Convention Chapter 6 of Annex"

Initially, I didn't think much of this. I didn't really care about the first two and the last one I had no clue about. Until I called up casa and they told me the last one meant "I cannot fly out of Australian Airspace". This was totally soul drenching as my goal is to be an International Airline Pilot. I haven't contacted casa back yet but I have questions

• Is it possible to get the ICAO restriction removed from my license or is it permanent?
• Is there a method of appeal to get this removed?
• Is it possible to get vision therapy and go for my medical again?
• If I were to apply on a domestic airline will this be shown in my application? Which also leads to will airlines hire me with these conditions?
• Also the worst question of them all. Is this restriction that serious and should I pursue a new career path?

If anyone had been in a similar situation as me please let me know.
Thanks