PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Children of the Magenta Line. Applies to GA types too
Old 16th Oct 2017, 09:55
mustafagander

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Being a dinosaur in the aviation world, and all other worlds too I must say, I use my iPad and Ozthingo to give me tracks and distances so I can prepare a flight plan. I then extract appropriate winds from the ARFOR and make the appropriate twists of the whizz wheel. I grew up with the three Cs - Chart, Clock, Compass - and I don't want to lose those skills.

My recent AFR was negotiated so that I turned off own ship position and used the iPad as I always do - a sophisticated WAC.

Like a number of my friends and colleagues who fly for fun after retirement, I avoid using the full capacity of the EFB to maintain proficiency and a sense of achievement when I fly.

I always carry 2 iPads and a spare external battery of suitable capacity coz I'm a wimp - I hate excitement in the air. Also I keep up to date on my current position by looking out the window and checking for expected road/rail crossings etc. It worked a treat on a recent outback safari I did with a few pals which took me way, way away from my familiar east coast places. I'm more than comfortable not having a paper chart on board and I save a small fortune as a bonus.