PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mustard gas found at Woodhall Spa, two in hospital
Old 15th Oct 2017, 18:50
Danny42C

Mustard Gas Found at Woodhall Spa.

ColinB (#50). (Link) and MPN11,

<https://rhydymwynvalleyhistory.co.uk...al_Weapons.pdf>

U.S, Army
Chemical Materiel Restriction Agency
Old Chemical Weapons - Munitions Specifications Report

.............................................COMMENT
............................................._________

..."In the air inlet and in the emission assemblies is fitted the operating mechanism. Thisconsists essentially of a Bakelite sealing disk in each assembly, to which is attachedan electric detonator. These detonators are connected to the aircraft electric current"...

Our Spray Tanks differed from those illustrated here, but the mustard release mechanism was the same.
..................................................1-39

Aerial Spray Tank Mk 4
Figure 1.3.12-1. Aerial Spray Tank, SCI (Smoke Curtain-installation) MK IV (F{ef. 4)

..................................................1-41

Figure 1.3.12-2. Aerial Spray Tank, SCI (Smoke Curtain-installation) MK V (Ref. 4) -

..................................................1-42

Construction:

..."Main bc~dy: light sheet metal with corrugated strengtheners"...

Similar to our 65lb cans ?

..................................................1-46

Figure l.3.14-l. Bomb, Aircraft, L.C.65 pound

.................................................1-48

Continued to 1-65 (end of British munitions) and to 5-115 (end of American munitions) Could not find any reference to CDRE activities in Cannanore.
............................................................ ..................

Entries in my Log:

(Kumbla and Porkal were the two CDRE Trials Ranges, on the coast approx 40 mi N.pf Cannanore).

May 12 1945 12x65lb at Porkal... These would be the "tins" carried internally.
......26 42x4lb at Kumbla (4,000 ft)................No idea.

Oct .11 Low Level Spray Porkal & photo.

A copy of the original photo is in my log, but I've not the skill to reproduce it here. - but it has widely been circulated. I'm flying my favourite FB986 (a Mk.III)

......30 Low Level Spray Porkal

Feb 14 1946 Camera Obscura "Chedlets"

So called from their shape, which resembled the well known segmented packs of cheese.

... !4 " ".............................(two trips that day
... 15 " "
....18 " "
....18 " "........................................."

....26................................... Dumping 500lb Mustard Clusters 0.30 . .............................'..............duration. No idea, sounds unpleasant.

............................................................ ........" "

In 30 min, a VV at 150 mph would travel 75 miles, so 37.5 miles out to sea from our strip on the Malabar Coast to the drop spot (from 1500 ft).

In addition, I did another 20 unspecified "Trials" Flights to Porkal and Kumbla in my log, and I had two other pilots on the job at the same time: they would do as much as I (or probably more - or where's the point in being "Boss" ?)

Sorry, that's all I can remember, and, as those who've followed all my stories from the beginning will recall, I had other things on my mind in the early part of the tale

Danny.