PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney Airport problems again
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2017, 09:49
Duane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well at least I am not speculating and talking out my ass pretending to know ****.

I think that what he is trying to say is, when something fails, ATC should be able to process the exact same amount of traffic as if it hadnt failed. You know like when planes lose an engine they fly exactly the same profile right?

If path 1 (of 2) fails and you are now operating on your backup path, you dont use it the same as if you had redundancy, that is crazy, you dont know why it failed, and you are just going to assume its ok to keep using at max capacity, what if the same failure occurs and you are at max rate.. such a stupid position to maintain. The SMS is to reduce traffic levels until the system returns to normal so you can return to normal levels of traffic. I dont know how you have it in your head that the SMS failed. The SMS that was implemented worked, people got delayed, everyone landed safely who could get a slot, internationals got prioritized short of inconveniencing some people the failure was handled well.

The radar wasnt effected, btw SY gets a mosaic of about 7 radar feeds, but if the TAR gets lost or degraded things will get slow down.

Slowing the rate is a perfectly logical and safe way to implement the SMS, if you are serious that you think that regardless of fault the rate shouldnt change, you are being entirely unrealistic. Planes dont have a back up engine they can whack on the wing when one fails, you cant expect to operate like normal when dealing with a failure. If you need this explained to you any further Advance, you are just being obtuse.

Last edited by Duane; 15th Oct 2017 at 10:18.