PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Rank Slides
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2017, 17:32
Bigbux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellow Sun

but why the decision was ever taken to provision a S5 weapon for a youth organisation almost beggars belief. I have never heard anything approaching a convincing argument for it.

YS
Because:

a. Sitting behind a firing point for the first time as a 14 year old, witnessing the noise and power of full-bore military-grade weapons being fired by your mates, knowing with an ever-increasing sense of excitement and fear that your own shoulder will be behind that weapon in minutes few, is a rite of passage.

b. Firing automatic weapons and destroying targets is fun, and gives you top bragging rights back in the classroom - as a bonus, it annoys liberal lefty teachers/parents/pupils.

c. The authorisation to handle military weapons on a range is dependent on properly learning and carrying out IA Drills and having the discipline to react promptly and correctly to commands given by the range officer/nco.

d. Military shooting does not merely consist of shooting at a static, paper target. It is designed to train the soldier to become a [Definition] "Good Battle Shot". That definition encompasses the many things that make a soldier, as opposed to shooting a weapon in the vague direction of a target. (Think completing OCU as opposed to first solo circuit.)

e. Having achieved d above - you can then hone your skills on a digital simulator where upon receiving the appropriate FCO, you must "keep your weapon working order; detect and locate an enemy and fire quickly and accurately at a target".

f. Doing all the above instills the desire in those so disposed to join the Armed Forces and ensures that on joining and throughout training, the passion and determination to excel is well established.

It may not convince you - but it sure as hell convinced me and I wasn't alone.

Definition - from memory, as far as I can recall it

"A good battle shot is a fit, trained, soldier who, under any conditions of combat can use ground for cover, concealment and movement, maintain and keep his personal weapon in order, locate and detect an enemy and fire quickly and accurately at a target."