PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair uses all the runway.
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2017, 17:10
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst the PM should make the calls at the correct speed, equally the PF should be taking the correct action at the appropriate speed even if the calls are omitted.

Ref a comment in my post about F/O's as PF not observing the instruments during the roll. They are blinkered on the centreline. Fixated. You could ask them a question and they would not hear you. Not good. Takeoff roll should be sharp, alert and relaxed. Tense is not alert; quite the opposite.

In some of my last operators the 'tick in the box' incapacitation scenario is often no PM call at 80kts. PF rejects. Box ticked; let's all reposition to takeoff and leap into the next box ticking exercise. It makes it more entertaining and worth far more if the PF does not respond to 80kts. Even more entertaining is if PM does not call V1 or Rotate; on a runway limited takeoff. That is really an eye-opener and a huge "I won't do that again moment" for PF. The end of the runway, at that speed, approaches faster than an F1 start grid into the first corner. After watching F/O's do blinkered takeoffs it was shocking to see them carry it over into LHS. This 'startle factor' moment served them both well.

ref bean counters. I wait for the day when the statisticians do the maths and decide that the chance of engine failure at V1 is so negligible as to be ignorable. Hey presto; more weight from runway.

Last edited by RAT 5; 14th Oct 2017 at 20:37.