PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mustard gas found at Woodhall Spa, two in hospital
Old 13th Oct 2017, 20:12
Danny42C

ColinB (#44),

What a story ! (thanks for the link to it) Never knew there were so many mustard storage sites in UK: all we knew was "Porton Down" - but the mere mention of that dread name would open many doors.

1340 (Special Duties) Flight's brief was simple: do everything asked of you by the CDRE (in the person of their Liaison Officer, a Wg Cdr Edmondes, who was not my Boss - that was the SASO of 225 Group in Bangalore). We never handled any gas bombs, only the 65lb (about 4-gall) rectangular tins carried internally, which burst open on impact on land or water; or spray tanks, one on each wing station.

Anyway, if you go to the "Pilot's Brevet" Thread, Page 152, #3036, I Post the first item of an account of my interesting last year of war service. And what was CDRE ? No, not "The Camel Drivers Recruiting Establishment" !

and continues to the early 1946 end on Page 162, #3227.

Your: ..."Meanwhile we sat in a blue dimly lit room with a hessian covered coffin"... awakens a painful memory (Page 197, #3939 - "Danny has a Night to Forget on British Rail").

Danny.