PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Research into the loss of BEA Comet G-ARCO, 1967
Old 13th Oct 2017, 16:10
MentionTheWar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Research into the loss of BEA Comet G-ARCO, 1967

On Thursday 12th October 1967, Captain Gordon Blackwood, a friend and neighbour of my family, was flying a British European Airways Comet 4B, G-ARCO, which was operating as BE/ Cyprus Airways flight 284 from London Heathrow via Athens to Nicosia.

At 5.25 am, whilst still seventy miles off the coast of Cyprus, a bomb exploded which is believed to have caused structural damage to the fuselage. Eight minutes later, as the aircraft descended in an apparent attempt to land safely, the stresses were too much and the aircraft broke up. Gordon, the six other crew and all 59 passengers, lost their lives.

The investigation into the crash considered the ill-starred history of the early Comet aircraft, which had a poor safety record but bore no resemblance to the later Mark 4 and 4Bs. It was also considered that there might have been a mid-air collision with a Greek Air Force fighter, but this was also quickly discounted. Seat cushions recovered from the Mediterranean Sea bore conclusive evidence of explosive and the trajectory through the cushions of microscopic fragments of the bomb.

The target of the attack was unknown, and no responsibility was ever claimed. It was considered that those responsible believed that either Archbishop Makarios or General Grivas, both prominent though controversial politicians at the time, might have intended to travel.

I am researching the background and full story of this tragedy, which also appears to have been a crime. I would be very grateful if anyone with any information, or contacts who might be able to assist, would drop me a line by e-mail. The book will be wholly objective, but also will ensure that the memory of those lost will be perpetuated.

Thank you.