PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legality of Amy Johnson Initiative - Equality Act 2010
Old 13th Oct 2017, 14:32
Pizzacake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reality of the situation is that easyJet can not recruit a woman over a man because she is a woman. She must be equally qualified and as discussed that definition is laid down by easyJet.
How the scheme most likely works is that from a recruitment perspective, the female pilots that apply are measured by the same yardstick as the male and then the top 6 who have applied through the initiative get it. That way the actual recruitment remains entirely on merit and ability it's the subsequent financing of training that is addressed.
Financing is a major barrier to all applicants and if easyJet have been able to make a case that removing this barrier will help with equality, then really they should be in the clear.
Now I would concede that money is not a gender based bias, but by opening the field a little more to females and getting more in the cockpit that will hopefully over time lead to a less male dominated work place and encourage more to apply.

Somewhere, in easyJet's equality section in HR there will be a business case scrutinised by lawyers, possibly drafted after speaking to the equality commission of how the initiative aims to address the underrepresentation of females in the cockpit.
I can get why you might be frustrated at it, I just think you're wasting your time on this one as easyJet ain't your local pub, they don't just do this kinda stuff on a wing and a prayer.

I'd love to know if the OP has a recent rejection letter from easyJet in their posession. ?