PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair uses all the runway.
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2017, 10:06
kungfu panda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parabellum
kungfu panda - as well as passing Perf 'A' I also operated heavy aircraft under hot and high conditions. Of all posters here you are the biggest worry, making absolute declarations, e.g. "I think that it is disappointing that so many professionals fail to recognise that this was not a normal take off."
Based on nothing more than an amateur filming a take off from a passenger seat through a passenger window with a smart phone! Think about it man, it is so ridiculous to not even bear thinking about, you have no supporting technical evidence for your wild claims, for that is all they are. As I said in my first post on this thread, we are largely spoilt by having much more runway than we need, it is only when we get into the heavy aircraft/shorter runway/high temp/humidity/altitude that we start to realise that some runways are just, and only just, long enough. Try Johannesburg, (14000'), on a summers afternoon heading off on a ten hour sector, or Singapore, (13150'), any evening, heading to Europe only a few kilos below the limit for the conditions, both in a B747-400, believe me, runway ahead never disappeared so fast.
Mate- You are clearly the biggest worry on this thread. You appear to have similar experience to me. Both 747 classic, 747-400, DC-10, 777. At hot high airports throughout the world, south America, Africa, Asia, China, Europe.

I have scared the heck out of myself with an overloaded aircraft. As I said in my first post. I was overloaded by 15 tonnes (as it turned out after a re-weigh in Istanbul) out of Dhaka (747-200). We got to 2000' from the end of the runway, still below V1 and Vr. It was clear that at that point, the only option was rotation. At an estimate we crossed the threshold of the opposite runway at 50' and then cleared the roof tops of the city by a little more than that. To me that was very, very close. It is indelible in my memory.

It's just very obvious that the video certainly appears to be much closer than the situation which I had. If company policy is causing these situations to occur it must be looked at.

As described earlier, Boeing suggest crossing the opposing threshold at 150'. It's in the Boeing training manual.