PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2017, 00:13
Nibbles2310

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozhawk
Thank you for the information, so what I believe is you could hire a plane maybe at best mates rate (VH registered I would use) then get a Grade 3 or 2 instructor and complete the required training, hour build and then pay for an approved testing instructor for the CPL flight test, once all exams and prac flying are complete?. I have already passed one of the CPL subjects studying myself at home using bob taits, so I am thinking I could keep my job, not run up a huge HECS bill and like you said do it as you go. Schools want 65-75k for PPL-CPL that only includes at the end a 182 or 206 endorsement, still VFR single. why would I pay that crazy amount.
You will have to do 200 hours instead of the 150 with an integrated course but you will find very few (if any) places who will hire someone with 150 hours.

What you've said is basically correct, though I'd recommend you try and mix in dual and command time through the whole process instead of getting to the required 100 hours in command and finding an instructor to prepare you for the test, you'll learn and retain more. It's also worth considering doing some spinning/aerobatics or a tailwheel endorsement with an experienced instructor as an alternative to doing long dual navs or bashing around the circuit in a typical 172/PA28 and learning very little.