PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind With Gust Landings
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2017, 22:29
good egg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old thread resurrection

Hi there
I’ve been handed a topic about crosswinds from my (ATC) boss and noticed this thread.
Here’s an excerpt from CAP789 (UK) - Requirements and Guidance Material for Operators...I think it’s current?...

Crosswind Limits for Take-off and Landing

It is not sufficient to repeat a statement in an AFM that
a particular crosswind component has been found to be acceptable; operators' limitations should be stated in unequivocal terms and account taken of the effect of gusts and surface conditions. Limits in excess of any figure mentioned in the AFM will not be acceptable. In addition, consideration should be given to any reduction in limits due to narrow runways.

So what do your SOPs state with regard to (a) max crosswind component for dry runway, (b) max crosswind for wet, or worse, runway, and (c) what about gusts for either dry or wet, or worse, runway????

Is there a percentage degredation for wet runways? I’ve heard of +15% for landing distance (unless runway is advised of “slippery when wet” - in which case landing distance is further increased) but what about gusts? Anyone have a rule of thumb for dry and wet runways???

Also, does a 15% increase in landing distance equate to a 15% reduction in crosswind limit???

Is the same true for “narrow” runways?

Over to you.....