PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Officer beret
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2017, 08:41
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver
Since when was the No2 a prerogative of the V Force and Lightening aircrew? I was initially issued with blue serge No 2 which was chronic to wear and like every other officer I had the tailors make me a barathea version of the same. There was an issue version with zips instead of normal breast pockets but there was no shortage of those in the SH Force.

I believe every Supply officer had one too.
FED, I suspect the zipped pocket version you refer to was well after No 2.

The sequence was a No 1 for parades and a serge No 2 replaced as you say with your own barathea*. Then the No 2 was withdrawn around 1967 but you were allowed to wear it out. Instead we were given the cash to buy a second No 1 thus having working dress and parade dress. Not popular.

At the same time the Mk 2 V-Force crews and Lightning crews were issued with a zuite suit flying suit. A two piece and the trousers had a hole near the right pocket to accommodate the AVS and G suit hoses. We would have been very smart in a Gulag.

As Beagle said, supplies dried up in 1970 however there was a secret stash in Stores at Akrotiri and if you were quick you could persuade the Supplier to part with a set. I acquired one for someone several inches tasller and considerably bulkier. The station tailor did his magic and I had one that fitted perfectly. Apart from tailoring alterations the zuite suit was free issue.

Then came the new No 2, a c**p copy of the zuite suit at increased cost. They were optional, you could continue to wear the No 1 Working Dress. Then came the WP.

Don't start on the shirt saga.