PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAPI U/S. Consequences ?
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2017, 21:54
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's looking at F/Ds on visual approach?

Rat, you misunderstand my point.

I'm assuming PF is looking out the window, enjoying the view, but using dist v alt to keep them out of the weeds.

Either logged into PFs brain would be the target distance/altitude figures and/or PM would be keeping track of them calling high/low as appropriate.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believed the original query was a visual approach, possibly from a straight-in, without visual slope guidance beyond the runway lights' aspect cues.

The straight-in visual approach, for whatever reason, is rarely if ever practised and almost always never taught, unless part of an IF approach where the needles are used for vertical guidance though the visual criteria have been acquired.

Many current line dogs can perform a visual circuit or circling approach only because the company or aircraft FM gives appropriate range/timing/altitude numbers which will suffice if accurately achieved. But picture the panic on a night straight-in visual, using the needles for staying out of the weeds, when the needles disappear into the corners for whatever reason?

Hence the use of a modern FMS runway-range rings, kept me and my team in the groove on the frequent nights when LGW main runway was taken out of action and tired crew landings at 0400 GMT were in force without PAPIs nor an approved VNAV approach for runway 26R.

As long as the maths have been done and X-checked long before the panic starts.

Aaaah, halcyon days..........