PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gallantry Recognition for Royal Air Force Squadrons
Old 11th Oct 2017, 20:38
Chinny Crewman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Melchett01
Overall good to see, but slightly disappointing that 28(AC) Sqn wasn't recognised for service in Iraq with the 'right to emblazon'. Everything the link talked about in terms of 33 Sqn applied equally to 28 in Basrah, all underlined by the award of the first DFC to a female pilot and remembering the absolutely torrid summers of 06/07 when Basrah Air Stn was under repeated and very heavy IDF.

From that perspective, I would suggest that 28 more than met the criteria of 'direct confrontation with the enemy and displaying gallantry and spirit under fire.
Following the ‘Al Faw landings’ on day 1 when members of 18 (B) Sqn landed inside Iraq some of them were also slightly disappointed not to be awarded the ‘right to emblazon’. The explanation given was that the 540 entries didn’t reflect the required level of participation. We know what happened and I know the female pilot you refer to and her crew, they have my utmost respect.

These honours are not awarded lightly and quite rightly so which makes the award of them special. We are making history let’s be proud.

Last edited by Chinny Crewman; 12th Oct 2017 at 13:31.