PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aborted takeoff in Glider
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2017, 12:57
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preflight checks - but leave the camera on the ground

Sorry, guys, I cannot agree that a solo pilot should be taking photos. Even a fixed camera turned on from the start is a distraction. Our very best air-to-air photographer is nearly always flying with a safety pilot as well.

Returning to the question, when should a tug dump the glider? Talking about my fright with experts, I had to agree I should have hung on longer; we were, after all, still climbing and every hundred feet gained would have given the glider a better chance of returning to the airfield. I was scared, my knees were shaking, I had just run completely out of courage. The last thing that a tug pilot would do at low level and low speed would be the suggested signal of waving the rudder! No way was I going to do that! I hope they have changed that stupid rule!

So still climbing, the glider more or less OK, following a very slow tug.
Hang in there. BUT....if a glider pilot ends up wildly out of position on tow, he is going to be pushing a rope. Especially if he is well above the tug.
If the glider pulls up the tail of the tug too much it can be impossible for the tug to regain flying attitude and airspeed. Before impact. When Spreckley and Rollings were practicing this maneuver they were about 6,000 feet minimum, and managed to frighten themselves badly.