PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where is the revenue Alan? (EK alliance)
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2017, 09:35
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheard a theory recently , trying to explain why Alan would sign up to what appears to be from the outside , a dud deal for Qantas , reference the Qantas Emirates code share alliance.
Circa early 2013 , the Dixon ,Singleton , Carnegie ,
The deal was contingent on financing. It needed the acquiescence of key work groups.

Your theory is very close to the truth as I understand it.

Mr. Joyce had been in Singapore scouting for an alliance with Tamasek in the period immediately prior. I'm told literally weeks.

Did Tim Clark see Mr Joyce coming? I think it highly likely.
Having suffered an own goal with the 'terminal decline' Qantas was desperate to stem the losses in FY12-13. Code share revenue would presumably fill the gap and with street talk suggesting a bid and the sole remaining shareholder of note very close to stopping out, time probably was of the essence. Had that block provided the liquidity, Messrs Dixon et al were odds on. Competitor airline management were astounded Qantas would abandon solid routes through Asia. They promptly added capacity.

As the thread title indicated, public accounts show no revenue or margin improvement for Qantas. The 'transformation' of Qantas largely a result of falling fuel prices and depreciation changes.

Where exactly Qantas gained anything remains to this day a pertinent relevant and interesting question.

Correlation is not necessarily causation, but the absence of any public actualised revenue gain and a rush back to Singapore suggests that the thread is very relevant, if one cares to look.

Subsequently, it appears others are counting too...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-1...b-idea/9040916

Last edited by Rated De; 11th Oct 2017 at 19:21. Reason: add hyperlink