PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2017, 09:26
roving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if I may post a question relating to this wonderful thread, namely how those in service in WWII acquired their flying wings and subsequent war service.

I have in my possession a piece of paper, sadly somewhat crinkled, which is described as a 'Summary of Flying and Assessment" with the Squadron (in this instance 208). It is undated, by I can work out from the name of the C.O. of the Squadron approximate date when it was written.

It contains all sorts of details for example the number of hours flown and the type of sorties flown, then there follows an assessment.

Now for the questions:

1. Was this kind of document common place in the Royal Air Force during and immediately post WWII?

2. What was the purpose of the document?

3. It seems to have been prepared as my father's tour was coming to an end, because it contains a recommendation for his next posting.

4. Since this is not a photocopy, but the original document, was its purpose to simply provide the named officer with a reference/record? Presumably as I hold the original it was not forwarded to anyone concerned with postings.