PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Schiphol passport checks
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2017, 07:01
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schiphol passport checks

I was flying from AMS to Italy i.e. a Schengen trip. Passport was checked at baggage drop off. There was no further passport/immigration control due to Schengen and we arrived at the boarding gate. Our boarding was done purely with a scanned boarding pass. There was no confirmation that my ID matched the boarding pass. I could have been anyone. I appreciate that Schengen is passport free travel, but from a security point of view I thought airlines were required to ensure that passengers travel with their luggage and are the same person as booked the flight. I could have gone into the Schengen area of the terminal and swapped boarding cards with someone and we could have boarded each other's flight with unknown baggage. From memory this is the first time this has happened, i.e. no passport check at the gate.
Is this now the EU rule? It does seem strange at a time when countries are thinking of tightening boarder controls. From a security point of view, if all hand baggage & hold baggage is screened and cleared for travel then, in theory, there is no security risk, but is it no longer the case that passengers have to travel with their own luggage when possible? I know about 'rush' luggage being approved. One would suspect that a passenger changing flights is suspicious and needs answering, but that can only be done with a check. Thus the only passport control is at baggage drop/check-in.