PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Vietnam War
Thread: The Vietnam War
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2017, 19:34
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hands down the best programme on TV right now, and one of the best documentary series I've seen. Some of the footage and graphic images are being shown for the first time I believe.

I caught up with the first three episodes on I-Player and first thing I saw was the interview of Everett Alvarez (A4 pilot) whose hand I once shook circa mid eighties.

The inclusion of so much footage of North Vietnamese veteran interviews brings much needed perspective to what is a very recent conflict. Neil Sheehan's input is also so very valuable - I believe "Bright and Shining Lie" to be a truly epic piece of work.

It saddens me that 99% of our population would rather watch some unreality TV bilge, than try and learn something of value from the damn squawkbox in the living room.

And as for the 19 year olds that went out there (and their Vietnamese adversaries), I take my hat off and raise a glass to them all. Whatever the politics, them that fought, did so bravely and courageously, in many cases to the bitter end.

PS should anyone think, my remarks in any way glorify this vicious, brutal conflict, I've read "Dispatches" by Michael Herr, "...And a Hard Rain Fell" by John Ketwig. Say no more.