PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best VFR external mount or above dash GPS?
Old 10th Oct 2017, 14:25
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tablet-based approach is going to have a lot more capability than a dedicated GPS navigator, at the price of some increase in complexity. But it's hard to beat having a large moving map display that can either be a VFR chart or a vector chart, or even go over to Google Maps if you need to.

If you are an Android aficionado (no Foreflight on Android) allow me to recommend Garmin Pilot, which I run on an Nvidia Shield 8" tablet. The Android version of Pilot has always been the poor sister to the iOS version, but it is finally catching up.

Some things to consider:

- You can mount any tablet to any el-cheapo kneeboard with just a little Velcro, no high-end kneeboards required.

- Overheating in the sun is definitely an issue. Don't leave it on top of the instrument panel or on the seat baking if you want it to work immediately on the next leg. It will cool off and start working, eventually, if you make that mistake!

- If you fly more than 3 or 4 hours a day, battery life can be an issue. Some source of auxiliary power is useful. I use a 10ft, high quality USB cable that has a large wire gauge, and a power adapter that works well in most Robinsons with the accessory power output in the back seat. Get an adapter with multiple outputs so you can share with cell phones or another tablet Or get one of those auxiliary USB battery packs, they'll keep you running all day long.

- Don't forget you can download a large Google map area for off-line use, if you need it.

- If you've got mobile data to burn, tether the tablet to your phone. Helicopters fly low enough for good cellular service, and you'll get weather, filing, and all that sort of stuff.

- Garmin Pilot interfaces beautifully to the new Garmin ADS-B transponders like the GTX345. GPS data, weather and traffic comes right over to the tablet.

Edited to add: since the OP is in Canada, I think he's going to be best served by either Foreflight or Garmin Pilot.