PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF66 CDG-LAX diverts - uncontained engine failure over Atlantic
Old 10th Oct 2017, 12:37
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
TBH in the case in question if the crew had the luxury of having time available to be able to factor in a subsequent three engined ferry into the decision making process my guess is they wouldn't have diverted into Goose or Gander at all.

There's a danger of Monday AM quarterbacking this to the n'th degree.

Number one priority is the old chestnut of the safety of passengers and crew. Not commercial considerations, not even comfort of passengers and crew.....just safety.

We know the engine failed in a spectacular manner, accompanied by vibration. If I had looked out of window after the WTF I would be wondering how well the engine was still hanging on and wondering if there were going to be any more probs (hydraulics, especially once gear and flaps start moving....fuel leaks?..)so personally I would be inclined to get the thing on the ground as soon as I safely could, at the nearest suitable airfield. Goose may or may not be great for passenger comfort beyond the basics, it may make a three engined ferry out easier than Gander or not, but frankly that's the least of my worries.

Last edited by wiggy; 10th Oct 2017 at 14:41.