PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2017, 04:00
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little disingenuous.

Purely IR? i didn't state that, I said
which is IR strategy designed to undermine mainline terms and conditions.
Whilst it may be public narrative that JQ was to be '23 aircraft' and Qantas pilots were reassured by Geoff Dixon circa 2003, that it was to pincer Virgin I ask simply:

• how many aircraft is JQ operating now?
  • How many ASK do JQ fly?

I think you will find that;

As Dixon telegraphed to you in 2005;

'The move comes just days after Qantas said Jetstar would some day be "just as important as the main line" airline.'

'By next year Qantas's low-cost offshoot, Jetstar, plans to fly to Asia, and possibly Europe and North America.'

I am well aware of Mr Joyce's role, Gerry McGowan's offer to Qantas. The opportunities to which you refer would have been those ordinarily afforded to Qantas pilots prior to JQ's creation. As former CFO Gregg also telegraphed to you, in your joint Parliamentary hearing that JQ added 'competitive wage tension' across the group.

Mr Dixon telegraphed the developing or indeed changing strategy a little more stating;

'fuel and people now represented around 60per cent of the Group’s operating costs.“Many airlines are now achieving substantial cost improvements through Chapter 11bankruptcy protection, consolidation and mergers and government support – avenues not available to Qantas.'

Maybe you are correct and all of it is simply coincidence, the historical record may suggest that there was more to JQ than they were prepared to tell you in 2003.

How long Qantas can maintain downward pressure on terms and conditions (unit cost) is the question.