PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2017, 17:23
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snarlingdog
@LTNman (or anyone)

The old Spittlesea Hospital Main Building (now used by SixT) has to be the oldest original building on the site but what can you tell us about Hangar 24?

I'd hazard a guess that it's very much the last man standing in term of oldest airport buildings. (there is/was a photo of it being built somewhere in this forum). Is it now a listed building? Was it of any significance?
Hangar 24 is the present Motor Transport and Airport Maintenance Department building. It can't be listed as it is due to be demolished to make way for a dual carriageway within the next year or two. It was the middle one of a set of 3 type T2 hangars that became landlocked as the airport expanded and is the only hangar not to be re-clad. Next to it stands another T2 with the third one being demolished a few years ago. There is another one on the hangar line but again has been re-clad or maybe it got demolished and rebuilt?

I think the oldest hangars are the former Monarch hangars 7 & 8 but they gained height in the 60's but I don't know if they were rebuilt or just made taller.

Hangar 24 is behind hangar 9 although I suspect all have been re-clad over the years. Hangars 7/8 were extended.
I think your photo shows hangar 24 under construction. A quick spin on street view shows hangar 24 is opposite Monarch hangar 127

Last edited by LTNman; 9th Oct 2017 at 22:16.