PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF KHORMAKSAR
Thread: RAF KHORMAKSAR
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2017, 09:01
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Shot in South Africa explains one missing feature; the unrelenting heat. Those lily white bodies would have been baby pink in a few hours, everyone, not just the Sgt in episode 2, would have been drenched in sweat. The officers' uniforms would have been board stiff from starch.

Sunglasses would probably have been far more in evidence. The BP man in a shirt, tie and trousers would have been dressed colonial style not in evening rig. He would have been in KD shorts, long white socks, desert boots and a shirt. The latter probably white and short sleeved and maybe with a tie but more likely not.

Only there for one week in September but we would retreat to the Merryfield air con at the first opportunity and then neck down a couple of pints of squash. The groundcrew and eng offs were billeted in the Red Sea Hotel.

Down the pools at Tarshine (sic?) beach we needed flip flops to walk on the concrete pool surround. The intensity of the sun meant I could only swim in that part of one of the pools shaded with the brushwood umbrellas.

I recall many 'locals' would sleep on the verandas of the blocks and not indoors. The beautifully equipped barrack room in episode 2 was ott appearing to have a carpet and blankets on the beds.

PS:

Where would they have got that much ice to fill a bucket in 1960s?

PPS:

Who would trust an officer with a machine gun?

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 9th Oct 2017 at 10:39.