PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2017, 07:18
PPRuNeUser0139

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chug - I've not been able to watch this Ch 4 programme as yet (hoping it will surface on YouTube before too long) but if watching the story of the Pat O'Leary line made anyone's feet restless, then there's a re-run over the mountains every July. It's known as the "Chemin de la Liberté" and it would lend itself as an adventure training tool.. assuming the RAF still has the funds to support these activities.

For many years it was run under the inspired leadership of Scott Goodall, who sadly died last year. His work might be familiar to some here (he was a cartoonist for comics prior to retirement). The "Chemin de la Liberté" couldn't be described as a "walk in the park" - as the route takes participants up to the snowline and across into Spain at 9000'. After taking part in the "Chemin" one year, Ed Stourton (BBC presenter) wrote an excellent account of the wartime escape routes across the Pyrenees called "Cruel Crossing" (available from the usual suspects).

In contrast, the annual Comet walk (always across the 2nd weekend in September) across the same routes used by evading aircrew during WWII in the Pays Basque is less demanding and should be within the capabilities of all serving aircrew (and even most of those of pensionable age!). In 2018, we'll be tracing the spectacular inland route that was used from 1943 on. I've already had notice that several extended families of notable US evaders will be attending.

Yesterday, I posted on our blog* an hour-long documentary (2010) made by Spanish Basques about the Comet Line. There are interviews with RAF evaders (in English) and Belgian guides (in French and English) and even if your French isn't up to snuff, it's a worthwhile and inspiring watch.

At the end, all the key players (some of whom experienced interrogations and the camps) are asked if they'd do it again - and without exception, they all said yes.

* if the link doesn't work, google cometepaysbasque.

Last edited by PPRuNeUser0139; 9th Oct 2017 at 07:39.