PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2017, 06:20
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by galdian
Why any talk about what's available for the RHS??

Whilst desirable to have a certain standard you CAN - push comes to shove - have the literal "trained monkey" and ops can go on.

LHS is where the legal buck stops so THAT's where the question arises...how low can you go with the matrix of components (hours/experience, training, CRM exposure, multi crew ops etc etc) for the PIC in the LHS....accompanied by their trained monkey??

Always amuses me when people talk about the "pilot shortage", the real talk has to be about the "command shortage" because THAT's when the potential to ground aircraft becomes real.

In the perfect world all crew would be trained to the highest standards (initial and recurrent) but that costs $$$$ so lets at least talk in context of the commercial reality as espoused by the dark forces of commercial reality!

Sadly not the way it should be - but the way it is.

Cheers.
This makes me ponder the future of Legacy carriers.

While those of us at Air NZ/QF count the decades to the RHS of a Widebody and ponder if we'll ever see the LHS before retirement, there's a whole world of 250 hour cadets getting their commands in a few short years.

Of course, a quick glance at Airlines where this occurs (RyanAir) paints a very bleak picture as to why, but we all have our price. I believe J*, JetConnect and Virgin (NZ) are already losing Captains, some long serving, to the huge offerings in China.

In the years to come, I expect we'll see more and more commuting contracts on offer for experienced operators to the point that even QF/ANZ will lose their appeal.