PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitude recovery?
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2017, 22:52
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When recovering from inadvertent 60 degrees nose up in an autogyro, just holding back stick will probably end up killing you. At 60 degrees nose up, you are going to very quickly end up with no forward airspeed. You would then start a tail slide with the tail flicking around rapidly, and then suddenly find yourself with about a 60 degree nose down attitude, and quite possibly such a low rotor rpm, that you'll be unable to recover. I would recommend never getting to 60 degrees nose up or 60 degrees nose down. But the standard recovery from unusual attitudes in an autogyro involve removal of power, rolling level and selecting cruise attitude, and then reapplying power and trim. If recovering from nose high, smooth forward cyclic is required to avoid unloading the disc too much. Waiting a moment before reapplying power is also wise, to allow the rotors to stabilise.

Inadveratent 60 degrees nose up in a teetering rotorhead helicopter - again, I don't recommend even being there. Helicopter recovery has already been mentioned so I won't repeat, other than to highlight that stalled control surfaces do not feature in unusual attitude recovery in a helicopter.

Inadvertent 60 degrees nose up in a fixed wing? You most definitely wouldn't 'just turn it into a knife edge' as a first resort! How are you planning on doing that? With ailerons? Are you stalled or close to it? If you are, you've just entered a spin and made things much worse. I do not believe you were taught that action as a technique for recovering from an unusual attitude. You may have been taught to do it to abandon a loop or some other intentionally entered aerobatic manoeuvre, but inadvertent 60 degrees nose up? No way is that a safe first course of action.

If your friend is wondering about a CPL(G) I'm guessing he or she already has a PPL(G). They should therefore already know the recovery technique from unusual attitudes. If they do not, I recommend they book themselves a quick refresher lesson. Recovery on instruments is no different to in VMC, and I cannot imagine you would be expected to recover from any different attitudes than those required in VMC for the PPL.