PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting scenario A320
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2017, 15:34
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dale Hardale
Disagree - it says the speed can be selected.

It's up to you to look after the flaps.

Good luck with your technique as the speed comes down to VLS in turbulence etc. with slats only extended. I won't be flying with you.
So what if the speed comes down to VLS? It's the minimum selected speed. You can actually fly below VLS even so it's obviously not recommended to do it on purpose . It's V&prot you should be more concerned. Always amazed me how people are concerned to be flying close to VLS or Green Dot at low altitude in calm conditions when you have so much extra power available.. GD, F & S speeds are your target speed on single engine... So with 2 engines, unless you fly into threatening turbulence, it's very acceptable to fly at or below manoeuvring speed if required as the FCTM clearly states. Flying in China, they often asked you to slow down to 180kts when you are still 50nm out. On an A321, would mean at least flaps 2 if we would fly above manoeuvring speed. Well no thanks!! I rather save fuel and the environment.
Heard some guys used to set flaps 2 then back to flaps 1 to have 1+F during the approach but they got snapped by the training division for doing that. I beleive it's not recommended by Airbus, but I can't find any official documentations about it.