PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF KHORMAKSAR
Thread: RAF KHORMAKSAR
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2017, 09:42
Saint Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I arrived at RAF Khormaksar in March 1965 on a direct flight from Gatwick Airport. I believe the aircraft was a British United (?) Britannia. As an SAC Airframe Mechanic with absolutely no helicopter experience I was naturally assigned the Rotary Wing Support Section (or whatever it was called) and found myself taking care of a couple of bright yellow Whirlwinds and a handful of silver and white Belvederes. A little later, these were joined with a squadron of Wessex in European camouflage colours. They had been shipped-in on either HMS Albion or HMS Bulwark (I can never remember which).
I found the daily routine interesting and learned a lot by working on three different helicopter types simultaneously. But my off-duty times were also very interesting, I enjoyed exploring Aden (except Crater which was out-of-bounds to us) and found many interesting places. One location in particular still brings back happy memories. It was a small hotel in The Crescent (if I remember correctly) which had a small roof-top bar that was decorated in such a way that it wouldn't be out of place in an old Humphrey Bogart movie (think Rick's Bar on a smaller scale). Clearly it wasn't well known as there was never more than two or three customers present. But boy, did they make a fresh lime drink that was do die for.
On the camp I got a job as a part-time waiter at the Sergeants Mess, usually for bigger functions, and I would turn-up with my long black trousers, pristine white shirt and cummerbund in RAF-colours. The job was up-paid but of course that was immaterial as the tips more than made up for it. Plus it was something to do to stave-off the boredom and boozing that was so common.
Then someone found out that I was a baby-sitter on my previous station and that opened-up another way to beat the rather hum-drum social life. Baby-sitting is a great way to pass the time and earn some pocket money.
Towards the end of 1965 we learned that the Belvederes were to be transferred to 66 Squadron at RAF Seletar in Singapore. In due time they were flown on to either HMS Albion or HMS Bulwark (I can never remember which) and together with some ground-crew, set sail for Singapore. The remainder of the ground crew, myself included, flew to Singapore via Manama, Bahrain (Hastings to Manama then Comet to Changi).
A week or so prior to the Belvederes leaving Khormaksar, a handful of Wessex from 848 NAS arrived at our dispersal, but I really don't know their task or how long they stayed.
Looking back at my time at RAF Khormaksar I believe I rather enjoyed it, I found things to do that kept me from lying on my bed all day - as many did - and saw different aspects of daily life in this large base, and in Aden as a whole, that others hardly knew about.