PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Link Trainee First Officer Level 1&2
Old 8th Oct 2017, 04:32
eukeybound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In term of why the 12 months, i'm not sure. But given the amount of time you spend going through all the steps of the process, even if it's an arbitrary time frame that someone in Qantas has selected, it still reduces their risk of just getting the same outcome i.e. someone who just scrapes through. Their emphasis is that the 12 months should be used to gain more experience.

A lot of people getting deferred are just low on experience. I have a couple of mates who got deferred and never even went to the sim. Why? No multi PIC, no recent flying experience, no IFR experience (although they hold the rating) or a combination of those. They're not bothered. They are just using the 12 months to gain more flying experience and then going back again.

Obviously there are some who are deferred who have significant experience, but again, 2000hrs 210 doesn't count as much as 250hrs multi PIC or turbine. Similarly 2000hrs flying skydivers over a coastal city in a caravan doesn't count as much as 500hrs flying charter in NT, Indonesia, PNG in a caravan.

Probably worth remembering too that even though there are plenty of people out there with the minimums or more, that doesn't guarantee you're a good pilot or the right future employee for someone. They have the right to hold you to a standard and if you don't meet it, choose not to hire you. It's not like they're short on people wanting to work there.

Last edited by eukeybound; 1st Dec 2017 at 17:37. Reason: Spelling