PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Human Factors in aircraft maintenance
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2017, 04:01
riff_raff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have spent over 25 years as a mechanical systems design engineer working on military and commercial aircraft programs, and both manned and unmanned space vehicle projects. I've heard dozens of stories from older engineers about manufacturing/maintenance/repair situations involving "human factors".

Over the last few years, human factors in manufacturing/maintenance/repair have become less of a problem, due to implementation of standard QA procedures (like AS9100) for every function performed by companies involved in the aircraft industry. Every work task must be performed according to a controlled and validated procedure.

Newer aircraft systems are designed to minimize maintenance required, using concepts like Condition Based Maintenance. And while it has long been standard practice to design the attachment interfaces of aircraft components so that they cannot be installed incorrectly, a detailed FMEA analysis is now required during the design phase to verify this condition exists everywhere.

Here's a human factors maintenance failure I personally witnessed while working as a mechanical systems engineer on the Space Shuttle program. A small locknut was not installed by a technician according to procedure, came loose, and caused the outer airlock hatch mechanism to jam during an EVA. The loss of that EVA cost tens of millions of dollars.
https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/740020main_...13%20Basic.pdf